Sunday, August 8, 2010

Daily Devotional


Sunday, July 8, 2010
“Blessed are the meek,
  for they shall inherit the earth.”

This beatitude is probably one of the most misunderstood or derided of the eight. Meekness is not something we really hold in high esteem. When we hear the word “meek” we think of people who are easily pushed around, who don’t have a strong opinion, are unassertive, or don’t speak up for themselves.

The Greek word for meek, praus, was used to refer to domesticated animals. Wild, unruly animals that were strong and powerful, but tamed to be controlled by man. The word meek used in Matthew 5:5 describes a strong and powerful man under the control of God. The meek have turned over their thoughts, will, emotions, desires, and attitudes to the control of God. Instead of submitting to his or her own will, or the will of the world, the meek man submits to the Lord.

The meek are not weak people; they are not wishy-washy, unassertive, easily stepped upon, passive, or spineless. The meek have put their faith in Christ, and are meek before God, but bold before the world and Satan.

Prayer:
Lord, give me the strength to submit to you; to become meek. I know that in my sin Lord, I would rather serve my own will, and turn myself over to my own desires for my life, but I recognize Lord, that your ways are higher than my ways, and I want my life to glorify you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment