Sunday, August 8, 2010

Daily Devotional


Thursday, July 5, 2010
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

The Bible contains many examples of the poor in spirit; one of which is found in chapter 15 of the book of Luke.  In pride and arrogance the prodigal son left his father’s house taking his share of the inheritance and he wasted away all of his money in a foreign country. There was a severe famine, and the prodigal son hired himself out to feed pigs; it was then that he realized that even the pigs were better fed than he was.

The prodigal son then came to his senses and realized that all of his father’s hired men had food to spare, and so he decided to go to his father and say: “Father, I have sinned against heaven, and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son, make me like one of your hired men. And so he got up and went to his father…” (Luke 15:18-20)

It was then that the prodigal son became poor in spirit, recognized his sins, and his need for forgiveness. He was broken by his unrighteousness, and saw that he deserved no preferential treatment by his father.

Yet, the father forgives his son in full, and prepares for him a great feast, just as the Lord our God has forgiveness us in full, and welcomes us to his table.

Prayer:
Lord, your mercy is awesome. I have given up on people who have sinned against me far less than I have against you, and yet you have never turned your back on me. Thank you for breaking my heart, and showing me my need of your forgiveness, and thank you for putting your spirit in my heart to constantly remind me of my need of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment